Monday, August 26, 2013

THREE THINGS CANNOT BE LONG HIDDEN: THE SUN, THE MOON, AND THE TRUTH


Three Things Cannot Be Long Hidden:  The Sun, The Moon, and The Truth (Buddha)

   Truth=that which is real or true=in accordance with fact or reality; correctly positioned, balanced or aligned.
   The sun is shining beautifully this morning as it usually does.  We recently had a magnificent full moon.  These things cannot be hidden but I often take them for granted. When I reconnect I immediately give thanks for this beauty and splendor.
   Truth, on the other hand, can be and has been hidden, by me and from myself.  However, in my recovery I am learning to be rigorously honest.  Do you realize how heavy lying, deceit and dishonesty can weigh?  They are intangible yet weigh me down to the depths of the ocean and I find myself drowning.  I need air!  I panic!  What a mortifying feeling of helplessness!
   That is how I felt while active in my disease.  I needed air so badly.  Death possessed my every thought.  But when I learned to be rigorously honest I could fill my lungs with life!  I had hope again.  I had gratitude.  I had purpose.
   My purpose for today is to give hope to anyone who feels like they are at the bottom of the ocean.  Get honest with who and what you are.  You are special.  You have a message.  You are worthy to be here on this earth.  Never forget it.
   Rigorous honesty does not come easily.  It takes practice and time.  But the weight will drop from your shoulders and your life will get better and easier. 
   Because I chose to be honest with you and myself, I no longer have to feel guilt, shame, embarrassment and humility about having the disease of substance abuse.  I did not choose this.  It is not because I have no self-control nor will-power.  It is what it is.  I am who I am.  Today I am grateful to have put the disease to rest and live a happy, joyous and free life.  I get to share this was those those in AA and those who are not.  I get to give you hope.  I get to put smiles on faces around me.
   I get to retire from my job at Safeway this week and pursue my dream of selling Gifts of Recovery.  To make a living at doing what I am so passionate about and have so much fun doing is truly a gift in my sobriety.
   Thank you all for this gift.  Until next Monday, have a mighty fine day!  Aloha!
   To view my Gifts of Recovery please visit my website at
DeesignsByHarris.com.

2 comments: